[openstack-dev] [Neutron] [Nova] [Cinder] [tc] Should Openstack project maintained by core team keep only API/DB in the future?

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 07:38:26 UTC 2015

On 28 April 2015 at 21:59, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The concern is that having broken drivers out there that claim to work
> with an OpenStack project end up making the project look bad. It's similar
> to a first time Linux user experiencing frequent kernel panics because they
> are using hardware with terrible drivers. They aren't going to recognize
> the distinction and will just assume the project is bad.

It's also worth noting that the upstream kernel recommends getting your
driver into their code base, precisely because it receives suitable care
and critique there. The linux kernel accepts but does not encourage
out-of-tree drivers (once the driver is of a suitable quality) and there
are periodic pushes by certain upstream developers to pull new drivers into
the kernel proper.

> >I would love to see OpenStack upstream acting more like a resource to
> support users and developers

Who do you think we are supporting? Users and developers are our *only*
target audience... I'm quite confused what you're trying to achieve... and
to suggest that we want anything other than the best product for end users
and an healthy productive environment for developers is quite disingenuous.
We have tough third party CI requirements in Cinder precisely because we
found not having them lead to broken drivers, unmaintained code and a
terrible end user experience, together with a dev environment where we
couldn't make certain necessary design overhauls because we had no idea
what that broke.