[openstack-dev] Navigating the ever changing OpenStack codebase

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Tue Apr 28 22:41:21 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2015-04-28 16:08:03 -0400 (-0400), Jay Pipes wrote:
>> Honestly, I see no problem with some helper bash scripts that
>> simplify life for new contributors.
>> [...]
>
> [...]
> I remember it happening regularly before we started begging people
> to run tox and instead remove those scripts where possible.

The arguments for pushing people to tox make good sense, but it seems
like there will still be cases where run_tests.sh continues to exist
for whatever reason.

For the sake of the new contributors, what about including a warning
when running run_tests.sh reminding them to use tox if possible?  For
the cases where the script can't be removed entirely, it will at least
help eager new folks (who are very likely to pull a repo and look for
a helpfully named script like that - I'm certainly guilty of rushing
ahead sometimes, running scripts while reading docs...)

-Christopher