[openstack-dev] [all] Question for the TC candidates

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Apr 28 17:49:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-04-27 at 17:00 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> I would have to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure the posts were
> highlighted in Stef's community newsletter email.

They were, in fact. But I know as a fact that even if people many love
the newsletter, I have the impression that few people follow the links.
The blog posts from the TC were on openstack.org/blog, on
planet.openstack.org, relayed on twitter and mentioned in the weekly
newsletter. I don't think we can give more visibility than this without
getting annoying. Maybe better titles and leads in the posts would help
more.

The problem is that there is just too much traffic and it's impossible
for anyone to keep up with everything. People skim through their emails
checking the subjects, their rss feeds reading only the titles, parsing
twitter feed for a couple of pages down (at best) and that's it. If
nothing catches their attention, pieces of information get lost. Even
the weekly newsletter I'm sure few people click to follow the links and
read further (unless it has a cool title).

I've long come to the conclusion that it is what it is: at the size
we're at, we can't expect every voter to be fully informed about all the
issues.

Better titles and a sort of TL;DR first paragraph in blog posts are very
helpful. But in order to write those, the author needs to have more
training as a communicator and more time. It's just a hard problem.

/stef