[openstack-dev] [all] Question for the TC candidates

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Apr 28 17:24:17 UTC 2015

On 04/23/2015 12:14 PM, Chris Dent wrote:

> This might be a bit presumptuous, but why not give it a try...
>
> This cycle's TC elections didn't come with a set of prepackaged
> questions and though the self-nomination messages have included some
> very interesting stuff I think it would be useful to get answers
> from the candidates on at least one topical but open-ended
> question. Maybe other people have additional questions they think
> are important but this one is the one that matters to me and also
> captures the role that I wish the TC filled more strongly. Here's
> the preamble:
>
> There are lots of different ways to categorize the various
> stakeholders in the OpenStack community, no list is complete. For
> the sake of this question the people I'm concerned with are the
> developers, end-users and operators of OpenStack: the individuals
> who are actively involved with it on a daily basis. I'm intentionally
> leaving out things like "the downstream".
>
> There are many different ways to define "quality". For the sake of
> this question feel free to use whatever definition you like but take
> it as given that "quality" needs to be improved.
>
> Here's the question:
>
> What can and should the TC at large, and you specifically, do to ensure
> quality improves for the developers, end-users and operators of
> OpenStack as a full system, both as a project being developed and a
> product being used?

Chris:

I welcomed your question as I welcome all questions from the electorate
with the intention and motivation of getting to know the candidates
better, hopefully to improve engagement in the electoral process and to
increase the extent to which people feel a part of the structure they
participate in.

At present, I am beginning to wonder to what degree you are being honest
with us? Is you intention to know the candidates or to communicate your
dissatisfaction with the current blog post situation?

It is detrimental to our overall electoral process if folks cloak
personal points of disagreement in the guise of open discussion.

Going forward, I encourage those who actually would like to get to know
all candidates in an electoral contest better to ask all the candidates
fair questions and let them respond. Should something come from that,
please follow up in a neutral way that does not weigh down the impartial
nature (hopefully) intended by the original question.

I do continue to hope that candidate statements and responses are
helpful to the electorate and that they cast their ballot without
feeling that doing so is an indication about their feelings regarding a
secondary issue.

My thanks,
Anita.