[openstack-dev] [all] Dependency management summit sessions

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Apr 27 21:53:47 UTC 2015

Hi, so  -

https://libertydesignsummit.sched.org/event/4da45ec1390dadcfc1d8a73decbf3f19#.VT6urd_va00

Is an ops track session about dependencies - focusing on the
operational side (mysql, mongo, rabbit etc). I'd love to have some
developer centric folk in the room, though I'll be doing my best to
capture the ops constraints. My hope is to have a really clear story
about what we can and should depend on, and the cost of non-boring
tech, for our operators.

On 16 April 2015 at 22:32, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
> Possibly, the devil is in the details. Also it means it won't play nice
> with manual pip installs before / after, which are sometimes needed.
>
> Mostly I find it annoying that pip has no global view, so all tools that
> call it have to construct their own global view and only ever call pip
> once to get a right answer. It feels extremely fragile. It's also not
> clear to me how easy it's going to be to debug.

We don't need to do that. I've put some expanded thoughts together here:

https://rbtcollins.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/dealing-with-deps-in-openstack/

I *think* that avoids the omg refactor-devstack thing, at the cost of
a small additional feature in pip.

Thierry says we're going to slot this into
https://libertydesignsummit.sched.org/event/da0f31eddd0def88c6c51fb131fe87bd#.VT6v1N_va00
or the followup after lunch - I'd like to pin it down more than that,
if we can.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>