[openstack-dev] [all] Question for the TC candidates

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 14:09:45 UTC 2015

On 27/04/15 08:46 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [...]
>> >questions and though the self-nomination messages have included some
>> >very interesting stuff I think it would be useful to get answers
>> >from the candidates on at least one topical but open-ended
>> >question. Maybe other people have additional questions they think
>> >are important but this one is the one that matters to me and also
>> >captures the role that I wish the TC filled more strongly. Here's
>> >the preamble:
>> >
>> >There are lots of different ways to categorize the various
>> >stakeholders in the OpenStack community, no list is complete. For
>> >the sake of this question the people I'm concerned with are the
>> >developers, end-users and operators of OpenStack: the individuals
>> >who are actively involved with it on a daily basis. I'm intentionally
>> >leaving out things like "the downstream".
>> >
>> >There are many different ways to define "quality". For the sake of
>> >this question feel free to use whatever definition you like but take
>> >it as given that "quality" needs to be improved.
>> >
>> >Here's the question:
>> >
>> >What can and should the TC at large, and you specifically, do to ensure
>> >quality improves for the developers, end-users and operators of
>> >OpenStack as a full system, both as a project being developed and a
>> >product being used?
>>
>> Thanks for bringing this up, Chris.
>>
>> First and foremost, sorry for my late answer. I just got back from a
>> trip w/ limited internet access.
>>
>> With the latest changes in governance model, I believe we need to be
>> very observant of the changes happening in our community. As I
>> mentioned in my candidacy, new projects will start showing up and
>> they'll want to join the OpenStack organization. While this is
>> amazing, we need to have a "scalable" - yes, hard to do - way to guide
>> those projects whenever it's needed.
>>
>> Therefore, I believe one thing we need to do is improve the
>> communication between the TC and the commuity. I've heard a couple of
>> times from members in our that it's sometimes hard to communicate with
>> the TC and most of the times, it's not clear for them when certain
>> topics should/shouldn't involve the TC. This, to me, is cause by a
>> lack of communication between the TC and the community. Either we're
>> failing to explain what the TC is there for or the communication
>> channels between the TC and the rest of the community are not good
>> enough.
>
>I often say that most issues, even apparently technical issues, are
>caused by bad communication.  So, I'm concerned that there are
>members of the community who don't know how to communicate with the
>TC. The best way to reach the entire committee is to email this
>list (openstack-dev) using "[tc]" in the subject line of your
>message.
>
>Regarding subjects where the TC should or should not be involved, I
>think the safest thing to do is ask. We would at least at that point
>help clarify who should be resolving a particular issue if we think it

This is exactly what concerns me and I think it's not clear to the
overall community. By improving this communication, we will also help
improving projects, the overall community and the developer's
experience.

>For outgoing communication, during Kilo (and possibly Juno) we tried
>blogging meeting summaries. Did folks notice? Were the posts useful?

I noticed and they were useful for me. Did others notice?

Flavio

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco