[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Call for adoption (or exclusion?)

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Sat Apr 25 00:19:56 UTC 2015

On 24/04/15 20:00, Joe Gordon wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Fox, Kevin M <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
> <mailto:Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov>> wrote:
>
>     Notification might be a good way to integrate with nova. Individual
>     tenants might want to do things as vm's come up/down, etc. Right
>     now, you need a privileged pipe into rabbit. Forwarding them to
>     Zaqar, per tenant queue's could solve the problem.
>

> Right now you can poll the nova API. Or tenants can use any number of
> monitoring tools.  How does zaqar better then the alternatives?

So, a couple of points about that:

  1) Polling sucks.
  2) If a bunch of things are going to get polled, at least collect them
together so there is *one* thing to optimise for massive polling load.
(Zaqar is this thing - you have to poll it too atm.)
  3) Long-polling and WebSockets suck a lot less than polling. If you
already collected all the polling in one place, it's really easy to make
the switch as soon as you implement them in that one place.
  4) If you don't have a common place to poll, then you can't use the
events as triggers for other services in OpenStack (without writing
custom polling code for every endpoint in every API - which is pretty
much what Heat does now, but that work doesn't extend automatically to
Mistral, Congress, &c. in the way that Zaqar notifications could.)

Also, APIs tend to only return the current status. You could miss events
if you just poll the API, whereas if the events are dispatched to a
durable queue and you just poll the queue for events, that problem goes
away.

> FWIW, I think there are some really neat use cases for amazon SQS, that
> presumably Zaqar would fit as well. Cases such as
> https://aws.amazon.com/articles/1464

Bingo, this is where it starts to get really interesting.

cheers,
Zane.