[openstack-dev] [pbr] support for 'python setup.py install'

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat Apr 25 00:12:15 UTC 2015

In our pbr integration tests we ensure that 'python setup.py install'
works, as well as ensuring that 'pip install' works. But see
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-September/015525.html
- for the last 18 months in pbr we've treated complains that setup.py
install fails as a reason to say 'use pip install .'.

I'd like to make that a little more official:
 - put it in our docs
 - stop testing python setup.py install.

This would relegate setup.py to building, not installation, which is
what its intended to be these days.

Thoughts?

-Rob

--