[openstack-dev] [barbican] Utilizing the KMIP plugin

Christopher N Solis cnsolis at us.ibm.com
Fri Apr 24 21:10:50 UTC 2015

Hello,

I have some questions concerning what exactly is implemented with respect
to the kmip plugin.
When I attempt to store a symmetric key using the command:

curl -X POST -H 'content-type:application/json' -H 'X-Project-Id:12345' -d
'{"name": "AES key", "algorithm":"aes", "bit_length":256,
"mode":"cbc","payload":"9A855DC48159F6629EBFF919C045C24B57B6B0327AA43FAA5DD6C87FC3E000AB","payload_content_type":"application/octet-stream","payload_content_encoding":"base64",
 "secret_type":"symmetric"}'
http://localhost:9311/v1/secrets

I receive the following error: SecretGeneralException: Problem seen during
crypto processing - Reason: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'enum'

When I also ask barbican to generate a symmetric key using the orders
resource:

curl -X POST -H 'content-type:application/json' -H 'X-Project-Id: 12345' -d
'{ "type":"key", "meta": {"name": "secretname", "algorithm": "aes",
"bit_length": 256, "mode": "cbc", "payload_content_type":
"application/octet-stream"}}' http://localhost:9311/v1/orders

I get what appears to be the same error: AttributeError: 'NoneType' object
has no attribute 'enum'

Does this mean symmetric key storage is still not fully implemented? Or is
it possible there is a misconfiguration between my kmip plugin and
barbican?
Thank you!

Chris Solis