[openstack-dev] [Neutron][Keystone] [Nova] How to validate teanant-id for admin operation

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Fri Apr 24 18:42:52 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Eichberger, German <
german.eichberger at hp.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> Following up from the last Neutron meeting:
>
> If Neutron is performing an operation as an admin on behalf of a user that
> user's tenant-id (or project-id) isn't validated - in particular an admin
> can mistype and create object on behalf of non existent users. I am
> wondering how other projects (e.g. Nova) deal with that and if there is
> some API support in keystone to save us a round trip (e.g. authenticate
> admin + validate additional user-id).

Not to long ago we got support in the auth_token middleware for a "service"
token in addition to the user's token. The user token is sent in the
x-auth-token header and the service token is sent in the x-service-token,
and then fields from both tokens are available to the application (e.g.,
the user project is in HTTP_X_PROJECT_ID and the service token roles are in
HTTP_X_SERVICE_ROLES). So you could potentially have a policy rule on the
server for the operation that required the service token to have the
'service' role, and what neutron could do is send the original user token
in x-auth-token and send its own token as the service token. This seems to
be what you're asking for here.

- Brant