[openstack-dev] [all] Question for the TC candidates

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 18:32:21 UTC 2015

On 24/04/15 09:52, Ed Leafe wrote:

> On 04/24/2015 08:30 AM, Zane Bitter wrote:
>
>>> I'm not sure what you see as the difference between the "end
>>> users" and the "operators" of OpenStack, because in my mind they
>>> are one and the same. I don't consider the people using, say,
>>> public cloud services to be OpenStack end users, because
>>> ultimately they just want stuff that works, and if it doesn't,
>>> they'll blame the provider, not OpenStack. I see our end users as
>>> the people who deploy and run OpenStack clouds.
>>
>> Whoa! Back the terminology train up.
>>
>> There's been longstanding confusion whenever anyone mentions the
>> word "users" because it is ambiguous whether it refers to the
>> people who deploy OpenStack clouds or the people who deploy
>> workloads on them. This has largely been resolved by a conscious
>> effort to refer to the two groups as "operators" and "end users"
>> respectively.
>>
>> The *last* thing we need is to muddy the waters again since,
>> contrary to your (I hope inadvertent) implication, both groups are
>> important and they often have different (and occasionally
>> conflicting) interests. The qualifier "end" is there for a reason;
>> don't ignore it.
>
> Well, of course they are important, and shouldn't be ignored, but the
> question explicitly stated:
>
>> I'm concerned with are the developers, end-users and operators of
>> OpenStack: the individuals who are actively involved with it on a
>> daily basis. I'm intentionally leaving out things like "the
>> downstream".
>
> I read "the downstream" to mean what you refer to as "people who
> deploy workloads on them".

"Downstream" means people who package/distribute OpenStack. To those of
us (like Chris) who also do this as well as being developers it's
literally an everyday term, but this was a good reminder to me that not
everyone shares the same context :)

>  In this context, I saw the operators as the
> end-users of the work the devs do. If that gave the impression that I
> don't care about people who actually run their stuff on the clouds we
> build, I apologize - I was simply trying to answer what was asked.

Thanks for clarifying, I understand your meaning much better now.

cheers,
Zane.