[openstack-dev] Please stop reviewing code while asking questions

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Apr 24 18:16:48 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 24 2015, Joe Gordon wrote:

> When I get a -1 on one of my patches with a question, I personally treat it
> as a short coming of the commit message. To often in the past I have looked
> at a file, and in trying to figure out why that line is there I do a git
> blame only to see a useless commit message with me as the author.

That's a thing that I've been stated over and over again in this thread
and actually paraphrased from the first paragraph on my original email.
It'd be cool if we could stop restating the obvious over and over again.

Could someone give me an example of how we are supposed to improve the
patch or commit message when one get a -1 with e.g. the question:
  "Why do you use getattr(foo, "bar", None)?"

when the answer is "Well, otherwise it will raise an error and the code
will fail" because the reviewer do not know how getattr() works.

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker