[openstack-dev] [all] Question for the TC candidates

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 13:30:33 UTC 2015

On 24/04/15 09:00, Ed Leafe wrote:
> I'm not sure what you see as the difference between the "end users" and the "operators" of OpenStack, because in my mind they are one and the same. I don't consider the people using, say, public cloud services to be OpenStack end users, because ultimately they just want stuff that works, and if it doesn't, they'll blame the provider, not OpenStack. I see our end users as the people who deploy and run OpenStack clouds.

Whoa! Back the terminology train up.

There's been longstanding confusion whenever anyone mentions the word
"users" because it is ambiguous whether it refers to the people who
deploy OpenStack clouds or the people who deploy workloads on them. This
has largely been resolved by a conscious effort to refer to the two
groups as "operators" and "end users" respectively.

The *last* thing we need is to muddy the waters again since, contrary to
your (I hope inadvertent) implication, both groups are important and
they often have different (and occasionally conflicting) interests. The
qualifier "end" is there for a reason; don't ignore it.

cheers,
Zane.