[openstack-dev] [TripleO] splitting out image building from devtest_overcloud.sh

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 02:40:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-04-16 at 02:59 +0000, Gregory Haynes wrote:
> Excerpts from Gregory Haynes's message of 2015-04-16 02:50:17 +0000:
> > Excerpts from Dan Prince's message of 2015-04-15 02:14:12 +0000:
> > > I've been trying to cleanly model some Ceph and HA configurations in
> > > tripleo-ci that use Puppet (we are quite close to having these things in
> > > CI now!)
> > >
> > > Turns out the environment variables needed for these things are getting
> > > to be quite a mess. Furthermore we'd actually need to add to the
> > > environment variable madness to get it all working. And then there are
> > > optimization we'd like to add (like building a single image instead of
> > > one per role).
> > >
> > > One thing that would really help in this regard is splitting out image
> > > building from devtest_overcloud.sh. I took a stab at some initial
> > > patches to do this today.
> > >
> > > build-images: drive DIB via YAML config file
> > > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173644/
> > >
> > > devtest_overcloud.sh: split out image building
> > > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173645/
> > >
> > > If these sit well we could expand the effort to load images a bit more
> > > dynamically (a load-images script which could also be driven via a
> > > disk_images.yaml config file) and then I think devtest_overcloud.sh
> > > would be a lot more flexible for us Puppet users.
> > >
> > > Thoughts? I still have some questions myself but I wanted to get this
> > > out because we really do need some extra flexibility to be able to
> > > cleanly tune our scripts for more CI jobs.
> > >
> > > Dan
> > >

> > Have you looked at possibly using infra's nodepool for this? It is a bit
> > overkill, but currently nodepool lets you define a yaml file of images
> > for it to build using dib. If were not ok with bringing in all the
> > extras that nodepool has, maybe we could work on splitting out part of
> > nodepool for our needs, and having both projects this.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Greg
>
> Did some digging and looks like infra has some planned work for this
> already[1]. This would be great for TripleO as well for the same reasons
> that infra wants it.

Thanks for pointing this out Greg. I did speak w/ Monty on IRC and our
tools do have things in common.

The infra tool is here I believe:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/140840/12/tools/test-dib-upload.yaml

And here is what I've currently got in TripleO:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173644/6/scripts/build-images,cm

For TripleO I was going more specifically for something that only
enhanced DIB functionality, no external cloud references, etc. Although
that could work too I think.

Although I did overload things a bit by sharing the same config file
with another tool called load-images so maybe we really are talking
about the same things here :).

At the end of the day this is how I'm trying to wire it into TripleO CI
to support using a single image for Puppet:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/177060/1/toci_gate_test.sh,cm

The goal being to save CI time mostly... but I think there are practical
uses for having image building and loading abstracted from devtest
across the board.

Dan