[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Call for adoption (or exclusion?)

Fei Long Wang feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Apr 23 21:32:30 UTC 2015

On 24/04/15 06:02, Richard Raseley wrote:
> Flavio Percoco wrote:
>>> I think getting operators to adopt it is key to getting other openstack
>>> projects to also adopt it. There is something of a chicken and the egg
>>> problem
>>> with the integration. Some of the projects you will want to integrate
>>> the most
>>> with are already considered pretty stable and may not want to rewrite
>>> working
>>> bits to target a service thats hard for ops to deploy. It makes their
>>> service
>>> hard to deploy too.
>>>
>>> Getting into RDO and Ubuntu will go a long way there. Getting into
>>> Packstack
>>> and other deployment tools even further.
>>
>> I don't fully agree with the above. The problem on waiting for
>> operators to adopt it is that they might actually not have a reason to
>> do it, which doesn't mean the project is useless. Each operator will
>> decide what services they want to provide.
>
> The needs of operators are a reflection of the needs of their users.
>
> I don't want to use the word 'useless', because it has a clear
> negative connotation - and I don't think Zaqar is 'useless'. Let's
> instead discuss 'utility'.
>
> The utility of any solution or product is completely subjective, and
> solely based upon the underlying requirements. If real operators with
> real requirements do not view a particular solution as having utility
> for them - then it doesn't.
>
> You are correct in that there is a bit of a bootstrapping problem, but
> I strongly feel like the answer to that is continuing to listen to,
> and test against, the market (the architects and operators).
>
> Build a minimally viable product that (a) has clear messaging and use
> cases (b) is easy to deploy and configure and (c) doesn't demand deep
> integration into an existing cloud and operators will start deploying,
> testing, and providing feedback. This will create the right feedback
> cycle and help in validating (or completely demolishing) assumptions
> on what users actually need.
>
> With regard to '(b)' above, it doesn't appear that there any any
> Puppet modules to assist with the installation and configuration of
> Zaqar. If you're interested, let's chat in Vancouver to see if I can
> help in get a basic set out there.

Awesome, thank you for the support. I believe the puppet work is one of
our goals in Liberty, so please pop in #openstack-zaqar and let's have a
talk.
> Regards,
>
> Richard Raseley
>
> SysOps Engineer
> Puppet Labs

Cheers & Best regards,
Fei Long Wang (王飞龙)
Senior Cloud Software Engineer
Tel: +64-48032246
Email: flwang at catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington