[openstack-dev] [oslo] eventlet 0.17.3 is now fully Python 3 compatible

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Thu Apr 23 19:42:23 UTC 2015

Victor Stinner wrote:
>> Also, on the Python 3 topic, there's still a big issue with memcached
>> (aka: python-memcache).
>
> Oh, thanks Thomas for the reminder. I just sent a pull request to port python-memcached to Python 3:
>
>     https://github.com/linsomniac/python-memcached/pull/67
>
> I don't understand. I saw a lot of "Port to Python 3" fixes merged in 2014, and these changes are now part of the release 1.54. Problem: running python-memcached tests with tox fail on obvious Python 3 errors. Anyway, all tests now pass with my pull request. The good news is that python-memcached looks to be actively developed.
>

> Julien Danjou ported pymemcache to Python 3, another memcached client. He suggests to use this one instead of python-memcached client.

Yes please to using pymemcache (I'm also an active contributor[1] there,
so feel free to ask me questions to...), although what else in openstack
uses it? From my current understand the nova usage of it is suboptimal
(may not even be fully working/functional) due to:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/138607/ which has exposed some
interesting details...

[1] https://github.com/pinterest/pymemcache/graphs/contributors