[openstack-dev] OpenStack-dev Digest, Vol 36, Issue 67

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 14:06:17 UTC 2015

> >> I recommend to use mysqlclient instead of MySQL-python even on
> >> Python 2.
> >>
> >> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mysqlclient
> >> https://github.com/PyMySQL/mysqlclient-python
>
> > Is it packaged in popular distributions? RHEL? Fedora? SuSe? Ubuntu?
> > Debian? Gentoo?
>
> If this library solves real bugs and provides Python 3 compatibility, I
> think it's worth to replace MySQL-python with this new library. Linux
> distro can package it, they can probably copy the packaging of MySQL-Python
> since it's a fork.
>
> Note: mysqlclient-python conflicts with MySQL-Python, both libraries use
> the same "MySQLdb" Python module. The good news is that mysqlclient-python
> is a drop-in library for MySQL-Python: no need to change any line of code,
> only modify requirements.
>
> @Naoki: Did you try to contact MySQL-Python authors to take over their
> project instead of forking?
>
> Victor

First of all, ​I've sent pull request to MySQL-python. It wasn't merged for
a long time while
I needed it. So I've forked.

https://github.com/farcepest/MySQLdb1/pull/61
https://github.com/farcepest/MySQLdb1/pull/62

​After that, Django ​supports Python 3 officially.
So we've discussed about which driver Django recommend for Python:
mysql-connector/Python,
PyMySQL and mysqlclient.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/django-developers/mysql-python/django-developers/n-TI8mBcegE/BpGKEE08-g0J

While the discussion, it was reported on Debian.

It's experimental package for now.
https://packages.debian.org/experimental/python3-mysqldb
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/p/python-mysqldb/python-mysqldb_1.3.4-1_changelog

I don't know about RHEL. As far as I googling, they are using original.