[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Call for adoption (or exclusion?)

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 12:14:45 UTC 2015

On 21/04/15 14:08 +0000, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
>I think getting operators to adopt it is key to getting other openstack
>projects to also adopt it. There is something of a chicken and the egg problem
>with the integration. Some of the projects you will want to integrate the most
>with are already considered pretty stable and may not want to rewrite working
>bits to target a service thats hard for ops to deploy. It makes their service
>hard to deploy too.
>
>Getting into RDO and Ubuntu will go a long way there. Getting into Packstack
>and other deployment tools even further.

I don't fully agree with the above. The problem on waiting for
operators to adopt it is that they might actually not have a reason to
do it, which doesn't mean the project is useless. Each operator will
decide what services they want to provide.

Integrating with other projects will give a "good" reason for
operators to install it. It's actually kind of forcing them if the
projects end up depending on each other but I don't think that's wrong
if the integration is made for good reasons instead of simple
promotion.

These thread is mostly to ask those projects that we know have use
cases where zaqar would be a good fit to help us working on this
integration.

>One of the places that would be interesting to start trying and get integrated
>is Sahara to Sahara VM hooks. In my opinion, it currently has the wrong model
>of trying to contact the vm from the controller rather then have the vm contact
>a queue. This requires all sahara vms to be public (less secure, wastes ips) or
>only have one controller/network node to tunnel with(nonscalable). This would
>fix a problem ops are having with it, benifiting all parties.
>
>I mentioned oslo.messaging earlier since trove I think uses it for its
>controller/vm communication. If a very simple messaging driver could be
>written, it also could help you prove out your api with real use and trove
>could see why closer integration would be good? It wouldnt need all the
>messaging features. Just the features that make point to point controller to vm
>work?

Oslo.messaging has a different target that I currently don't think
Zaqar is good for. Therefore, the integration with services like
Trove, Sahara, etc. will have to be done manually. That is, using the
zaqarclient directly.

Cheers,
Flavio