[openstack-dev] [Glance] Open glance-drivers to all glance-cores

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 11:16:26 UTC 2015

On 22/04/15 05:57 +0000, Nikhil Komawar wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>With all due respect to all the Glance core-reviewers (who are doing an excellent job, by the way), please NO. First reaction that came to my mind after reading the title: What might be the thinking behind this, what is the direction this is driving the project towards, what’s next, open Glance core reviewers to all committers? I think not.

open core reviewers to committers? really?

> [...]
>I have to agree that our feedback time and thoroughness has lacked severely for the past few cycles. However, we must note that the community is growing and sometimes we need to bear through the transition phase. We have had a mission statement change and a few related features are still spunkily trying to get merged. I am glad that you brought up the feedback time on the specs, as this also applies to the feedback time on feature-code. For example, Artifacts reviews did not get much attention from the existing set of core-reviewers. How do we solve that first? If we are going to scale drivers, we first need to commit to be able to review features that are earlier promised to land. Adding more features that come later on the priority list of the program with the help of a bigger driver team and not providing early feedback to top priority reviews doesn’t make much sense.
>
>Clarity and transparency:
>=====================
>Historically, the feedback has primarily been given at the summits and at mini-summits. Any strong objections have been sincerely discussed and I’ve been part of most of them over the last few years. So, personally I did not have issues around clarity and transparency of the feedback. I have seen any features that needed feedback from variety of groups have been discussed at the events like summit, mini-summit, video conferencing, etc. The invitations have been public and for events that have limited seats (like video conference), open notices have been given to help FCFS principle.
>Also, please do add timeliness in the feedback as a part of the concern. A few of the non-drivers have not provided timely feedback that has caused disgruntlement within subset of the community members. We need to resolve that. So, the takeaway looks like we need a priority list of the features that will be the focus of the cycle. We take the help of such committed drivers (who often provide great feedback outside of the specs as well) and help drive the program forward by making core reviewers aware of the needed reviews.
>
>I hope that answers your questions. I have attempted to jot this down very late in the night and may have missed some things; I apologize about the same. Please do raise any outstanding concerns and I will make best attempt in formulating the answers to the same in writing; some things are just intuitive and better communicated verbally :-)
>
>I appreciate your concern raised out in the open and touching very important points about our process. As an effervescent and dynamic community, we should plan to move towards a better process model & get something documented in this cycle and help clear any concerns for the members who are less frequent visitors to the ML.
>
>Looking forward to having such great conversations more often & across all OpenStack projects.

I agree glance-drivers is another responsibility, which is why I said
that it'd be totally ok to just opt-out from doing it. I believe we're
just arguing whether we should let cores opt-in to drivers or just
opt-out from it.

TBH, I think core-reviewers should participate in the specs reviews
because it takes more than a spec to actually implement a feature and
sooner or later, reviewers will have to go back to the spec and read
it in order to provide a proper review to a patch.

Scaling drivers is not just a matter of adding more people to the
team, you also need to have a specific workflow that drivers can
follow in order to provide good reviews not just to the specs but to
the patches themselves.

In addition to this, there are specs that require patches to be
submitted to give a better understanding of what the feature is about.

That being said, if we look at the review/approval stats for our specs
repo, most of the approvals were done by the PTL, whereas the rest of
the team mostly did +2s and very few approvals that I didn't dug into
very much.

This basically shows that our review process for specs depends the PTL
approving them, which TBH I'm not fully against to. As a PTL, it is
good to have a good visibility of the things that are happening in the
project. Therefore, knowing what specs have been approved is
definitely a good thing.

The above plays nice with a broader set of reviewers that would
provide as much feedbacj to the specs as possible and then sync back
to the rest of the team or, at the very least, the PTL.

As I mentioned in one of my previous emails, we do this in oslo.* and
it's worked quite well, I believe. I personally trust our
core-reviewers team to have them all added to drivers and encourage
them to review the specs w/o approving.

In addition to that, each of our specs require a "core-reviewer" to be
added in the reviewers section. It makes little sense to me to have
core reviewers added to specs and those same reviewers not having a
voice/vote on the specs. Yes, they can comment, I know, but still.

I hope it's clearer where I'm coming from.
Cheers,
Flavio