[openstack-dev] [oslo] eventlet 0.17.3 is now fully Python 3 compatible

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 08:19:29 UTC 2015

Hi,

>> These changes are not enough to port nova to Python 3. But they are required to be able to find next Python 3 bugs.

> Is there already a static analysis tool that helps find these things? (Would a pylint check for the above be useful? Some of them would be hard to find reliably, but a bunch of the above would be trivial)

I read that hacking has some checks. It's quite easy to run 2to3 to see modified lines.

Personally, I prefer to just run tests and fix issues one by one. It's faster to fix failing tests without having the modify the whole project at one.

Sometimes, I'm also using regular expressions (in vim or grep). For example, I used "[0-9]+L" to find 123L. You can also use regex to modify code inplace.

2to3 tool drops Python 2 compatibility, so it's not great. But it helps to find code that needs to be modified.

I now prefer 2to6 which uses six and so keeps Python 2 compatibility. I modified it a little bit to reduce changes:
https://github.com/haypo/2to6/

Victor