[openstack-dev] [Nova] Add config option for real deletes instead of soft-deletes

Artom Lifshitz alifshit at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 21:42:44 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'd like to gauge acceptance of introducing a feature that would give operators
a config option to perform real database deletes instead of soft deletes.

There's definitely a need for *something* that cleans up the database. There
have been a few attempts at a DB purge engine [1][2][3][4][5], and archiving to
shadow tables has been merged [6] (though that currently has some issues [7]).

DB archiving notwithstanding, the general response to operators when they
mention the database becoming too big seems to be "DIY cleanup."

I would like to propose a different approach: add a config option that turns
soft-deletes into real deletes, and start telling operators "if you turn this
on, it's DIY backups."

Would something like that be acceptable and feasible? I'm ready to put in the
work to implement this, however searching the mailing list indicates that it
would be somewhere between non trivial and impossible [8]. Before I start, I
would like some confidence that it's closer to the former than the latter :)

Cheers!

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/db-purge-engine
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/db-purge2
[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/remove-db-archiving