[openstack-dev] [api] Minor changes to API

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Apr 21 20:45:38 UTC 2015

On Apr 20, 2015, at 7:07 PM, Ian Wells <ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk<mailto:ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk>> wrote:

On 20 April 2015 at 15:23, Matthew Treinish <mtreinish at kortar.org<mailto:mtreinish at kortar.org>> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 03:10:40PM -0700, Ian Wells wrote:
> It would be nice to have a consistent policy here; it would make future
> decision making easier and it would make it easier to write specs if we
> knew what was expected and the possible implementations weren't up for
> (quite so much) debate.  For different reasons, Neutron extensions are also
> not favoured, so there's no clear cut choice to make.

Uhm, there is: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/APIChangeGuidelines
and if you read that adding attrs without advertising it (using an
extension, microversion, or whatever) is not an allowed change.

It is also not an unallowed change (given that there's a section that appears to define what an unallowed attribute change is).  The page reads very awkwardly.

Whatever your preference might be, I think it's best we lose the ambiguity.  And perhaps advertise that page a little more widely, actually - I hadn't come across it in my travels.  And perhaps improve its air of authority: rules on this subject should probably live somewhere in a repo so that it's clear there's consensus for changes.  Currently anyone can change it for any reason, and two years after the last substantive change it's hard to say who even knew it was being changed, let alone whether they agreed.

Such a repo exists! [1]

You can see those docs rendered here. [2]

It’s under the purview of the API Working Group. [3] You’re most welcome to join us.

That APIChangeGuidelines wiki page really needs to be incorporated into the official repo [1]. I’ve added that as an agenda item to our next meeting on Thursday 2015-04-23 at 00:00 UTC [4].

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/api-wg/
[2] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/
[3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/API_Working_Group
[4] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/API-WG