[openstack-dev] [oslo] eventlet 0.17.3 is now fully Python 3 compatible

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Apr 21 20:37:10 UTC 2015

On 4/16/15, 17:54, "Clint Byrum" <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

>Excerpts from Joe Gordon's message of 2015-04-16 15:15:01 -0700:

>> > fairly out of date.
>> >
>> > You're right. I updated this wiki page. In practice, much more
>>OpenStack
>> > clients, Common Libraries and Development Tools are already Python 3
>> > compatible. I added the link to my pull request for Oslo Messaging.

>>libraries
>> > to port over are before the summit so we can start planning how to do
>>the
>> > python34 migration.
>> >
>> > I checked quickly. There are small libraries like pyEClib required by
>> > Swift, but the major blocker libraries are: MySQL-Python, suds,
>>Paste. For
>> > oslo.db, it's already Python 3 compatible no?
>> >

>> > * MySQL-Python
>> >
>> > MySQL-Python doesn't look to be active (last commit in january 2014).
>> > There are multiple Python 3 pending pull requests:
>> > https://github.com/farcepest/MySQLdb1/pulls
>> >
>> > Mike Bayer is evaluating PyMySQL which is Python 3 compatible:
>> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PyMySQL_evaluation
>> >
>> > See also https://github.com/farcepest/moist (is it alive? is it
>>Python 3
>> > compatible?)
>> >

>> > * suds
>> >
>> > There is https://bitbucket.org/jurko/suds : a fork compatible with
>>Python
>> > 3. Global requirements contain this comment:
>> >
>> > # NOTE(dims): suds is not python 3.x compatible, suds-jurko is a fork
>>that
>> > # works with py3x. oslo.vmware would convert to suds-jurko first then
>>nova
>> > # and cinder would follow. suds should be remove immediately once
>>those
>> > # projects move to suds-jurko for all jobs.
>> >

>> > * Paste
>> >
>> > I already fixed Python 3 compatibility issues and my changes were
>>merged,
>> > but there is no release including my fixes yet :-(
>> >
>> > I heard that Paste is completly outdated and should be replaced. Ok,
>>but
>> > in practice it's still used and not Python 3 compatible.
>> >
>> > Workaround: use the development (git) version of Paste.
>> >

>> > For the full list, see the wiki page:
>> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3#Core_OpenStack_projects
>>

>> Thanks for updating the wiki page that is a very useful list.
>>
>> From the looks of things, it seems like nova getting Python3 support in
>> Liberty is not going to happen. But we can make good progress in
>> dependencies sorted out. By fixing the dependencies and switching a few
>>out
>> for better ones.
>>
>> What are your thoughts on how to tackle  sqlalchemy-migrate? It looks
>>like
>> that is a blocker for several projects. And something I think we have
>> wanted to move off of for some time now.
>>

>IMHO it is quite a bit easier to port something to python 3 than to
> [...]

Also, isn’t sqlalchemy-migrate something we currently maintain (or a group
of OpenStack developers do it for OpenStack. Can’t we work with them to
add support for Python 3?