[openstack-dev] [nova][python-novaclient] microversion implementation on client side

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Apr 21 18:27:40 UTC 2015

On 04/21/2015 11:35 AM, Hayes, Graham wrote:
>> From: Jay Pipes [jaypipes at gmail.com]
>> The existing --os-compute-api-version CLI option should be made to take:
>>
>>    * 2
>>    * \d+.\d+
>>    * "latest"
>>
>> And nothing else.

> Yes - please don't add a flag to the cli (or the python bindings for
> that matter)

Isn't a cli flag exactly what Jay was describing?

> Speaking as someone who spends a lot of time interaction with different
> clouds, based on different versions of OpenStack and develops on top of
> tip of master clouds - the thought of trying to remember what micro
> versions are enabled on the cloud I am currently testing / working on is
> terrifying.
>

> This should be done via discovery. If a call requires a micro-version
> that is not deployed - return an error.

I haven't had the pleasure(?) of needing to do this, but wouldn't you need to
know what API versions are available before you try to do some task?  (In order
to know what actions are available, or what parameters to expect to be returned.)

As I understand it, Jay's proposal is that if you don't specify a version you
get the default (currently version 2, I think), if you do specify a version you
get that version, and if you specify "latest" then you get the most recent
version that the server knows about.

Chris