[openstack-dev] [nova] Required data migrations in Kilo, need Turbo Hipster tests updated

Joshua Hesketh joshua.hesketh at rackspace.com
Tue Apr 21 15:16:46 UTC 2015

Hey,

So I can add support to turbo-hipster to apply migrate_flavor_data when
it hits your migration (in fact I started to do this). This means the
tests will pass on your change and continue to once it merges. I'll
update the datasets after the next release but it'll probably be to a
version before migrate_flavor_data is required so we'll actually still
be able to test that functionality against real datasets.

The migrate_flavor_data command didn't actually work on the CLI (unless
I'm missing something or did something odd). See
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/175890/ where I fix the requirement of
max_number. This likely means that operators have not bothered to do or
test the migrate_flavor_data yet which could be a concern.

That said, I'm surprised migrate_flavor_data isn't just done as a
migration. I'm guessing there is a reason it's a separate tool and that
it has been discussed before, but if we are going to have a migration
enforcing the data to be migrated, then wouldn't it be sensible enough
to just do it at that point?

If I were to have a guess at that reason I would say it is that you can
do this command live without taking nova api offline whereas migrations
are generally done as downtime and this could be a long migration.

Cheers,
Josh

Rackspace Australia