[openstack-dev] [api] Minor changes to API

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 00:52:37 UTC 2015

On 04/20/2015 08:07 PM, Ian Wells wrote:
> On 20 April 2015 at 15:23, Matthew Treinish <mtreinish at kortar.org
> <mailto:mtreinish at kortar.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 03:10:40PM -0700, Ian Wells wrote:
>     > It would be nice to have a consistent policy here; it would make
>     future
>     > decision making easier and it would make it easier to write
>     specs if we
>     > knew what was expected and the possible implementations weren't
>     up for
>     > (quite so much) debate.  For different reasons, Neutron
>     extensions are also
>     > not favoured, so there's no clear cut choice to make.
>
>     Uhm, there is: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/APIChangeGuidelines
>     and if you read that adding attrs without advertising it (using an
>     extension, microversion, or whatever) is not an allowed change.
>

> It is also not an unallowed change (given that there's a section that
> appears to define what an unallowed attribute change is).  The page
> reads very awkwardly.
>
> Whatever your preference might be, I think it's best we lose the
> ambiguity.  And perhaps advertise that page a little more widely,
> actually - I hadn't come across it in my travels.  And perhaps improve
> its air of authority: rules on this subject should probably live
> somewhere in a repo so that it's clear there's consensus for changes.
> Currently anyone can change it for any reason, and two years after the
> last substantive change it's hard to say who even knew it was being
> changed, let alone whether they agreed.
This page has some kind of authority as it is linked to from
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Approved/APIStability. At
that time the guidelines were a work in progress but clearly at this
point it belongs in a more controlled repo. That said, this document has
been referenced many times on the dev list and I am not sure that just
moving it to a repo would increase awareness. It would also need to be
more advertised.

  -David