[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Adventures in QuintupleO

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 21:39:26 UTC 2015

I've been spending some time getting quintupleo working on top of a Juno
RDO OpenStack. I'm at a point now where I think it is worth putting
effort into making it easy for anyone to try this.

Ben Nemec has done the hard work of proving this is possible[1]
resulting in the repo he uses to bring up an environment which behaves
like a baremetal env[2]

I'd like to build on this to create a new upstream repo aimed at setting
up an environment which is ready for undercloud and overcloud installation.

For rdo-management, using it would be documented in its own section of
the Setup chapter[3]

Ben's heat templates bring up BMC and baremetal nodes. I've been
extending those to also define the undercloud network and a bare
undercloud node ready for undercloud installation (or optionally an
image-based undercloud).  Another future enhancement could be to figure
out how to use only a single nova server serve all of the BMC requests
(possibly with one server having a neutron port per baremetal it is
managing)

This will still require patching the nethercloud until we can find a way
of upstreaming those changes. The repo can at least be where those
patches live for now.

So my questions for now would be:

What should the repo be called? quintuplo-setup?

Where should it live? git openstack in the openstack namespace? github
rdo-management?

[1] http://blog.nemebean.com/tags/quintupleo
[2] https://github.com/cybertron/tripleo-scripts
[3]