[openstack-dev] [oslo][pbr] getting 0.11 out the door. Maybe even 1.0

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Apr 20 21:27:47 UTC 2015

On 04/20/2015 12:10 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> If there's nothing majorly wrong mid-L, I'd like to release 1.0.0 just
>> to get us into 'ok its stable' mentality.
>
> I read that many packages modify the source code of libraries and
> applications to avoid a dependency to pbr at runtime. What's the
> status of this issue? Is pbr still used/required to get the version
> of a package a runtime?

Yes, a lot. And even worse: in many cases, pbr isn't even declared in
the requirements.txt, and I had to double check for the facts myself.

> I'm not sure that it's an issue in pbr itself. Maybe applications
> should be fixed instead.

The issue is that nobody used oslo.version, and it vanished. Anyway, pbr
is actually very small, so I don't think it's an issue.

On 04/20/2015 02:22 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
 > I read somewhere that pkg_resources may also be used to get the
 > version.

That's correct, and I don't understand why we're not using that.

On 04/20/2015 09:25 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
 > Firstly, pbr has no runtime dep on pip - it doesn't import it. So you
 > don't need pip installed when an installed package uses pbr to get its
 > version.

Why does requirements.txt of PBR has pip then?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)