[openstack-dev] MySQL charset collation for `db sync` commands

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 20:52:58 UTC 2015

Hi,

I notified Glance (and probably other projects) are running the db_sync
with 'utf8_general_ci' by default.

* Can we change it? I've looked in Glance & oslo.db, I've not seen anything.
* Can we configure it to stop enforcing this collation? Some deployments
are running 'utf8_unicode_ci'
* why 'utf8_general_ci' ? I've seen it's less accurate at sorting, but
faster.

Please tell me if I'm wrong and if we can already change it somewhere in
configuration.

If you are interested by my exact context, it affects our Puppet
modules: https://bugs.launchpad.net/puppet-glance/+bug/1446375

Thank you,
--
Emilien Macchi