[openstack-dev] [neutron][L3] IPAM alternate refactoring

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 02:18:22 UTC 2015

There are two ports when referring to the ones related to a floating IP.

There is the one the floating IP gets 'associated' with that is usually
attached to a VM. That one is created in a separate transaction and the
association gets its own transaction as well. That's all good.

The other port is the problem child. Currently, in order to get an IP
address for the floating IP itself, a dummy neutron port has to be created
just for the sake of getting the IP allocation. Since the floating IP is
handled in the L3 plugin and the port for it is handled in the core plugin,
we run into these transaction issues.

The floating IP has a non-nullable FK relationship to the port table for
its dummy port so we have to create the port first. If we don't put the
floating IP and the port under the same transaction, a failure during the
creation of the floating IP could result in an orphaned dummy port. These
orphans are particularly problematic because they waste external network IP
addresses and they are invisible to the tenant trying to allocate the
floating IP so he/she can't clean them up.

What Carl would like to do is eliminate the dummy port entirely, which
makes sense. Unfortunately, in order to do that we have to tweak a lot of
stuff to break the binding between an IP allocation and a port.

It's probably something we will have to do early in Liberty because I
imagine it will break in weird places, especially for L3 vendor plugins
that make assumptions about the presence of a port for other things (e.g.
the choice of MAC address to use for the floating IP traffic).

I hopes that helps clarify the issue.