[openstack-dev] [puppet] Managing config file values and parameter defaults

Clayton O'Neill clayton at oneill.net
Fri Apr 17 19:59:04 UTC 2015

How to handle config file values, defaults and how they relate to manifest
parameters was brought up in the weekly meeting up a few weeks ago.  I
promised to put something together.  I've put written up my thoughts and my
understanding of the other viewpoints presented there in an ether pad and
you can find the link below.  I apologize if I've not properly captured
things accurately.  I'd like to get feedback on this, either in the ether
pad or on the list.  I realize we might not be able to work this out
entirely before the summit, but we may be able to do some of the heavy
lifting and discuss it further there

Ultimately I'd like to end up with a blueprint that describes how we want
to handle different types of config file options.  It will likely be a huge
amount of work to completely implement any policy we come up with.
However, if we can agree on a policy then we can at least ensure any new
changes follow it, and over time start working on the rest of the code base.

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/puppet-config-parameter-defaults