[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Linuxbridge as the default in DevStack [was: Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work]

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 20:12:47 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Fox, Kevin M <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov> wrote:

> Its because someone recommended devstack be switched to linux bridge so
> that its easier for folks to learn openstack. but my assertion is, if all
> production sites will have to run ovs

I believe this is a false assertion and the crux of the disagreement in
this thread.  There are valid use cases where OVS is not required, nor many
features of Neutron, however desirable they may be to other use cases.

Its a waste of their time. Set the default to be whatever the production
> default is.

This is generally good advice and we do follow it much of the time.  This
happens to be one area where the value of 'production default' is not set
in source code.  In these cases DevStack makes an opinionated choice, and
that choice is based on a number of factors. Here overall simplicity and
similarity to the existing default (nova-net) are strong selectors for LB.

Frankly, if LB is so bad, let's prepare the patch to deprecate it first
thing in Liberty and remove it in M.

dt

--

Dean Troyer