[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Linuxbridge as the default in DevStack [was: Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work]

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 17:55:19 UTC 2015

>On the contrary, if you reread the message to which you were
previously replying, it's was about the unnecessary complexity of
OVS (and Neutron in general) for deployments which explicitly
_don't_ need and can never take advantage of self-service
networking. The implication being that Neutron needs a "just connect
everything to a simple flat network on a bridge I can easily debug"
mode which hides or eliminates those complexities instead.

I understand. What I'm saying is that switching to Linux bridge will not
change the networking model to 'just connect everything to a simple flat
network'. All of the complaints about self-service networking will still
hold.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 8:22 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2015-04-16 21:17:03 -0700 (-0700), Kevin Benton wrote:
> > What do you disagree with? I was pointing out that using Linux
> > bridge will not reduce the complexity of the model of self-service
> > networking, which is what the quote was complaining about.
>
> On the contrary, if you reread the message to which you were
> previously replying, it's was about the unnecessary complexity of
> OVS (and Neutron in general) for deployments which explicitly
> _don't_ need and can never take advantage of self-service
> networking. The implication being that Neutron needs a "just connect
> everything to a simple flat network on a bridge I can easily debug"
> mode which hides or eliminates those complexities instead.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

Kevin Benton