[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Linuxbridge as the default in DevStack [was: Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work]

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Fri Apr 17 15:45:45 UTC 2015

And since we've circled back I might add that perhaps we want nova-network
to deliver that.
Simple, reliable networking leveraging well-established off-the-shelf
technologies that satisfies the use cases Jeremy is referring to.

If regardless of changes in governance pertaining openstack project the
consensus is still that nova-network functionalities should be performed by
neutron under the same assumptions, then what Kevin is suggesting goes in
the right direction, regardless of whether the deployer chooses linux
bridge, OVS, or some fancy advanced technology like [1]. However, there's
more than that. For instance ask the average user that "just wants
connectivity" whether they think creating a router or pointing a floating
ip to a port should be part of their workflow. You can figure out the
answer by yourself.

I had a chat with Sean Dague a few day back on IRC [2]. The point seems
that when neutron is deployed as a replacement for nova-network it should
provide defaults that provide a replacement for nova-network flatdhcp
networking mode. For instance this would be a shared network, a single
router, and a single external network (the floating IP pool).

If multi-host is required that single router should be distributed (and
perhaps one day neutron will distribute SNAT too). Router distribution with
linux bridge might be a problem with the current framework, where we're
insisting on supporting nova-network scenario using neutron's control plane
constructs which have been conceived for multi-tenancy and self service
networking.

And then there's the API usability perspective. But if we provide default
for neutron resources then the problem is probably solved as users will
have little to no  interaction with the neutron API.

Salvatore

[1] https://github.com/salv-orlando/hdn
[2]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-neutron/%23openstack-neutron.2015-04-15.log