[openstack-dev] [TripleO] on supporting multiple implementations of tripleo-heat-templates

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Fri Apr 17 13:21:28 UTC 2015

Hi,

the Heat/Puppet implementation of the Overcloud deployment seems to be
surpassing in features the Heat/Elements implementation.

The changes for Ceph are an example, the Puppet based version is already
adding features which don't have they counterpart into Elements based.

Recently we started working on the addition of Pacemaker into the
Overcloud, to monitor the services and provide a number of 'auto
healing' features, and again this is happening in the Puppet
implementation only (at least for now) so I think the gap will become
bigger.

Given we support different implementations with a single top-level
template [1], to keep other templates valid we're forced to propagate
the params into the Elements based templates as well, even though there
is no use for these there, see for example [2].

The extra work itself is not of great concern but I wonder if it
wouldn't make sense to deprecate the Elements based templates at this
point, instead of keep adding there unused parts? Thoughts?

1.
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/master/overcloud-without-mergepy.yaml
2. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173773