[openstack-dev] So... why exactly? Was: [magnum] Discovery Mechanism For Swarm Bay

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 22:21:54 UTC 2015

On 04/16/2015 05:29 PM, Adrian Otto wrote:
> This approach addresses all three concerns laid out above. The same
> approach should apply both to CoreOS and Swarm Bay so the user
> experience is consistent.

So, the above comment got me thinking... why does the user experience
need to be consistent? It's not like developers are going to deploy
stuff on Docker Swarm *and* Fleet/CoreOS *and* Kubernetes.

Developers who want to deploy on container clusters generally have
already picked one of them -- Mesos, Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, Fleet,
etc. What is the benefit of having an abstraction layer that tries to
make the usage of these different developer tools RESTful and
consistent? Why wouldn't the developer/deployer simply install
Kubernetes or Mesos or Docker Swarm in one or more VMs using Heat/Murano
and use the native API of their container cluster orchestration tool of
choice?

It's a bit like saying that we need to make a SQL-as-a-Service API
endpoint that installs multiple database servers into VMs and offers
some ANSI SQL via REST API service to communicate with multiple database
servers. It just doesn't make any logical sense to me. Database
developers want to use the native APIs of their preferred database
server, not some lowest-common-denominator SQL over REST interface.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Best,
-jay