[openstack-dev] [wsme] [ironic] [ceilometer] [magnum] [kite] [tuskar] WSME unmaintained ?

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Apr 16 14:57:47 UTC 2015

On 04/16/2015 07:41 AM, Lucas Alvares Gomes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a couple of Openstack projects that uses WSME for their REST
> APIs[1], but WSME project looks abandoned. The review stats are not good,
> for the last 40 days the project didn't have a single review from a core
> reviewer[2], the bugs are not being triaged nor fixed [3], I have been
> trying to get some core people to look at a review for the last ~2 weeks by
> asking for reviews in the #wsme channel without success. Plus, if you look
> at the merged patches queue you will see that some people approve their own
> patches*.
>
> This all concerns me, I do not want Ironic to rely on unmaintained
> technology for our Rest API and I suspect that other projects using WSME
> doesn't want that either.
>
> So how can we fix this problem?
>
> * Should projects relying on WSME start thinking about migrating their APIs
> to another technology?
>
> * Can we somehow get the core team to start paying more attention to the
> project? Or can we elect some people willing to do some review to the core
> team ? If so, there's anyone out there that wants help with it?
>
> * Forking the project an option?
>
> [1] https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C
> <https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=user%3Aopenstack+extension%3Atxt+wsme&type=Code&ref=searchresults>
>
> %93&q=user%3Aopenstack+extension%3Atxt+wsme&type=Code&ref=searchresults
> <https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=user%3Aopenstack+extension%3Atxt+wsme&type=Code&ref=searchresults>
> [2] http://stackalytics.com/report/contribution/wsme/40
>
> [3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/wsme/
>
> * I don't consider it super bad for such a small project, but when nobody
> else get things reviewed apart from cores approving their own patches it
> does concerns me.

This does seem concerning, especially for something that we're
ostensibly using due to close ties with OpenStack.

Perhaps we should also investigate adoption of the library if the
original author has stopped caring?

Or - as you bring up - perhaps our use of this has wound up having been
a mistake and it's time to cut the cords. The original intent was to get
all of openstack using the same framework, but this has not come to pass. :(