[openstack-dev] Global Cluster Template in Sahara

Sergey Lukjanov slukjanov at mirantis.com
Thu Apr 16 10:22:27 UTC 2015

Hi,

first of all - yes, we've implemented mechanism for default templates
addition in Kilo, please, take a look on this spec and related changes:
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/sahara-specs/specs/kilo/default-templates.html

Regarding to your case, it's in fact about the admin-only writable
templates shared between all tenants. We have a blueprint for implementing
ACL for all Sahara resources -
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/sahara/+spec/resources-acl . It's about
implementing extended and flexible way to configure ACLs for resources and
to provide end-users an ability to have the following types of resources:

* default - tenant specific, anyone in tenant could edit or delete
* public - shared between tenants in read-only mode, writable for users in
tenant where it was created
* protected - if True than could not be removed before updated to False
using the resource update operation
* admin or protected=Admin - to make only admin users able to write/delete
resource

during the Kilo cycle we've been discussing this idea and initially agreed
on it, because it sounds like the most OpenStackish way to provide such
functionality. I have a draft spec for it (not yet published), I will
publish it today/tomorrow and send a link to it to this thread.

Yanchao, does this ACL mechanism covers your use case? Any feedback
appreciated.

Thanks.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 3:19 AM, lu jander <juvenboy1987 at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have already implement the default template for sahara
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/sahara/+spec/default-templates

>>  Dear Openstack Developers,
>>
>>  My name is Yanchao Liang. I am a software engineer in eBay, working on
>> Hadoop as a Service on top of Openstack cloud.
>>
>>  Right now we are using Sahara, Juno version. We want to stay current
>> and introduce global template into sahara.
>>
>>  In order to simplify the cluster creation process for user, we would
>> like to create some cluster templates available for all users. User can
>> just go to the horizon webUI, select one of the pre-popluated templates and
>> create a hadoop cluster, in just a few clicks.
>>
>>  Here is how I would implement this feature:
>>
>>    - In the database, Create a new column in “cluster_templates" table
>>    called “is_global”, which is a boolean value indicating whether the
>>    template is available for all users or not.
>>    - When user getting the cluster template from database,  add another
>>    function similar to “cluster_template_get”, which query the database for
>>    global templates.
>>    - When creating cluster, put the user’s tenant id in
>>    the “merged_values” config variable, instead of the tenant id from cluster
>>    template.
>>    - Use an admin account create and manage global cluster templates
>>
>> Since I don’t know the code base as well as you do, what do you think
>> about the global template idea? How would you implement this new feature?
>>
>>  We would like to contribute this feature back to the Openstack
>> community. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
>>
>>  Best,
>> Yanchao

Sincerely yours,
Sergey Lukjanov