[openstack-dev] [Nova] Mislead of Nova Documents in configuring hosts aggregates

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Thu Apr 16 07:41:59 UTC 2015

Hi Luo,

Great spot! This looks to be an error in the documentation, rather than
in Nova. If you can please include the information in this email in a
bug against the documentation, then someone on the docs team can pick it up.

If you want to fix the documentation yourself, you can also do that, by
checking out the appropriate repo and making the change (just as you
would patch code). Help is available on the wiki here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo

Hope that helps,
Lana

On 16/04/15 16:50, Luo Gangyi wrote:
> Hi, guys,
>
> I found a misleading configuration in openstack official documents.
>
> When I follow the guide
> (http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/config-reference/content/section_compute-scheduler.html)
> to configure nova host aggregates, I got following DEBUG message in
> nova-schuduler log:
>
> "
> 2015-04-16 09:30:47.395 1143 DEBUG
> nova.scheduler.filters.compute_capabilities_filter
> [req-66f091c4-c26f-482f-b432-cbd0f2456625 None] (node-132.domain.bcec,
> node-132.domain.bcec) ram:128519 disk:6240256 io_ops:0 instances:0 fails
> instance_type extra_specs requirements host_passes
> /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/scheduler/filters/compute_capabilities_filter.py:73
> 2015-04-16 09:30:47.395 1143 INFO nova.filters
> [req-66f091c4-c26f-482f-b432-cbd0f2456625 None] Filter
> ComputeCapabilitiesFilter returned 0 hosts
>
> "
> Then I looked the source code, I found this problem was caused by the
> conflict of ComputeCapabilitiesFilter
> and AggregateInstanceExtraSpecsFilter if we did not use scope in
> extra_specs.
>
> In official guide, it use "$ nova flavor-key /|ssd.large|/set
> /|ssd=true|/" which may cause conflict with ComputeCapabilitiesFilter!
>
> In fact, we should use "$ nova flavor-key /|ssd.large|/set
> aggregate_instance_extra_specs:/|ssd=true|/" instead.
>
> Hope someone can fix this problem in officical documents to avoid other
> people encountering the same problem.

Lana Brindley
Technical Writer
Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia