[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Linuxbridge as the default in DevStack [was: Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work]

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Thu Apr 16 03:50:32 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 10:09:24PM EDT, Tom Fifield wrote:
> On 16/04/15 10:54, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> >Yes, but.... if stuff like dvr is the only viable replacement to
> >nova-network in production, then learning the non representitive config
> >of neutron with linuxbridge might be misleading/counter productive since
> >ovs looks very very different.
>
> Sure, though on the other hand, doesn't current discussion seem to indicate
> that OVS with DVR is not a viable replacement for nova-network multi-host HA
> (eg due to complexity), and this is why folks were working towards linux
> bridge?

Before we get sidetracked too far into the OVS vs. Linux Bridge bikeshed,
let's reflect on the fact that DVR is *not* enabled by default in
DevStack. Nor is nova-network's multi_host enabled by default.

So in all cases, someone looking at the innards of Nova-Network or
Neutron or looking to create a "production-like" DevStack
will be consulting documentation for configuration details.

--
Sean M. Collins