[openstack-dev] [TripleO] splitting out image building from devtest_overcloud.sh

Gregory Haynes greg at greghaynes.net
Thu Apr 16 02:50:17 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Dan Prince's message of 2015-04-15 02:14:12 +0000:
> I've been trying to cleanly model some Ceph and HA configurations in
> tripleo-ci that use Puppet (we are quite close to having these things in
> CI now!)
>
> Turns out the environment variables needed for these things are getting
> to be quite a mess. Furthermore we'd actually need to add to the
> environment variable madness to get it all working. And then there are
> optimization we'd like to add (like building a single image instead of
> one per role).
>
> One thing that would really help in this regard is splitting out image
> building from devtest_overcloud.sh. I took a stab at some initial
> patches to do this today.
>
> build-images: drive DIB via YAML config file
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173644/
>
> devtest_overcloud.sh: split out image building
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173645/
>
> If these sit well we could expand the effort to load images a bit more
> dynamically (a load-images script which could also be driven via a
> disk_images.yaml config file) and then I think devtest_overcloud.sh
> would be a lot more flexible for us Puppet users.
>
> Thoughts? I still have some questions myself but I wanted to get this
> out because we really do need some extra flexibility to be able to
> cleanly tune our scripts for more CI jobs.
>
> Dan

Have you looked at possibly using infra's nodepool for this? It is a bit
overkill, but currently nodepool lets you define a yaml file of images
for it to build using dib. If were not ok with bringing in all the
extras that nodepool has, maybe we could work on splitting out part of
nodepool for our needs, and having both projects this.

Cheers,
Greg