[openstack-dev] [all][pbr] splitting our deployment vs install dependencies

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Apr 15 21:41:01 UTC 2015

On 14 April 2015 at 21:36, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
>> On 13 April 2015 at 22:04, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>>> How does this proposal affect stable branches ? In order to keep the
>>> breakage there under control, we now have stable branches for all the
>>> OpenStack libraries and cap accordingly[1]. We planned to cap all other
>>> libraries to "the version that was there when the stable branch was
>>> cut".  Where would we do those cappings in the new world order ? In
>>> install_requires ? Or should we not do that anymore ?
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-specs/specs/library-stable-branches.html
>>
>> I don't think there's a hard and fast answer here. Whats proposed
>> there should work fine.
>> [...]
>>
>> tl;dr - I dunno :)
>
> This is not our first iteration at this, and it feels like we never come
> up with a solution that covers all the bases. Past failure can generally
> be traced back to the absence of the owner of a critical puzzle piece...
> so what is the way forward ?
>
> Should we write a openstack-specs and pray that all the puzzle piece
> owners review it ?
>
> Should we lock up all the puzzle piece owners in the QA/Infra/RelMgt
> Friday sprint room in Vancouver and get them (us) to sort it out ?

That might be good.

There are I think four or five distinct owners here:
 - CI
     [wants no spurious failures]
 - mordreds publish-what-works-for-the-non-CICD-users, aka (AFAICT)
'folk that consume git or perhaps tarballs but mainly git'
     [wants to be able to reproduce what CI had installed and not have
things require hours of debugging]
 - redistributors [including folk that build debs and rpms from git
and tarballs]
     [wants to be able to fit what we produced into existing
*usually-not-latest-of-everything* environments
 - developers
     [want to be able to bump/cap/change dependencies as dependencies
bring in new features (and/or breaking releases]

If we're going to lock folk into a room, lets make sure we have all of
them there :)

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>