[openstack-dev] [all] QPID incompatible with python 3 and untested in gate -- what to do?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Apr 15 19:10:54 UTC 2015

On 04/15/2015 01:48 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Clint Byrum's message of 2015-04-15 10:15:11 -0700:
>> Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2015-04-14 16:54:30 -0700:
>>>
>>> It's time to be honest about the level of support that comes with those
>>> other backends, deprecate the plugability, and move on to more
>>> interesting problems. We do have plenty of them to solve. :) Perhaps in
>>> doing so we could get a better Rabbit implementation and make life
>>> easier for everyone.
>>>

>> I think you're right about most of this, so +1*
>>
>> *I want to suggest that having this pluggable isn't the problem. Merging
>> drivers without integration testing and knowledgeable resources from
>> interested parties is the problem. If there isn't a well defined gate
>> test, and a team of people willing to respond to any and all issues with
>> that infrastructure committed, then the driver should not be shipped
>> with oslo.messaging.
>
> I tend to agree, although it's up to the oslo-messaging-core team to
> decide what they want to support.

I do feel like decisions like this need to uplevel from just the library
maintainers, because it's a think that as a community we need to all be
willing to stand up and support the way OpenStack works, for some
definition of that. Otherwise we're going to get into a situation where
a lot of projects are just going to say: oh, not rabbit, go talk to
those folks instead. Nothing infuriates people more than support
telephone tag.

I don't think that's a situation we want to put the oslo-messaging team
in, and I don't think it's the way we want to work as a community.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net