[openstack-dev] [all][oslo][clients] Let's speed up start of OpenStack libs and clients by optimizing imports with profimp

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Apr 14 00:39:45 UTC 2015

On 9 April 2015 at 01:12, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 08/04/15 08:59 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:

>> I have always considered pbr a packaging/installation time tool, and not
>> something that would be used at runtime. Why are we using pbr to get the
>> version of an installed package, instead of asking pkg_resources?
>

> Just wanted to +1 the above.
>
> I've also considered pbr a packaging/install tool. Furthermore, I
> believe having it as a runtime requirement makes packagers life more
> complicated because that means pbr will obviously need to be added as
> a runtime requirement for that package.

pbr is a consolidation of a bunch of packaging / build related things
we had as copy-paste in the past. Some of those are purely build time,
others, like having a version present for editable or not installed
packages, is not.

If we want to make a hard separation, and have a pbr_runtime separate
package, we can definitely do that.

But there should be utterly no difficulty in having pbr packaged in
distros - its packaged in Ubuntu, for instance.

Also we've been adding features to make it more aligned with distro
needs - I'd love it if the conversation focused on what that needs,
rather than 'ripping it out' - since I really loath the copy-paste
hell that I fear that will lead to.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>