[openstack-dev] [openstackclient] osc slowness

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Apr 13 22:20:02 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2015-04-13 07:15:57 -0400:

> So, under the current model I think we're paying a pretty high strategy
> tax in OSC use in devstack. It's adding minutes of time in a normal run.
> I don't know all the internals of OSC and what can be done to make it
> better. But I think that as a CLI we should be as responsive as
> possible. < 1s seems like it should be target for at least all the
> keystone operations. I do think this is one of the places (like
> rootwrap) where load time is something to not ignore.

I *believe* the time is scanning the plugins. It doesn't actually
load them, but it has to look through all of the entry point
registries to find what commands are available. I originally built
cliff (the framework under OSC) this way because I thought we would
put the commands in separate repositories.

Since we aren't doing that for the vast majority of them, we can
change the implementation of cliff to support hard-coded commands
more easily, and to have it only scan the entry points for commands
that aren't in that hard-coded list. We would need to load them all
to generate help output and the tab-completion instructions, but I
think it's OK to take a bit of a penalty in those cases.

I plan to work on this during liberty.

Doug