[openstack-dev] [all][pbr] splitting our deployment vs install dependencies

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Mon Apr 13 09:35:19 UTC 2015

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015, Robert Collins wrote:

> In short, the proposal is that we:
> - stop trying to use install_requires to reproduce exactly what
> works, and instead use it to communicate known constraints (> X, Y is
> broken etc).
> - use a requirements.txt file we create *during* CI to capture
> exactly what worked, and also capture the dpkg and rpm versions of
> packages that were present when it worked, and so on. So we'll build a
> git tree where its history is an audit trail of exactly what worked
> for everything that passed CI, formatted to make it really really easy
> for other people to consume.

That seems like an excellent idea. It provides a known good set of
requirements within a broader window. This is good because:

* It allows people who just needs things to work to have a correct
   base.
* Doesn't disable one of the best things about flexible requirements:
   post-release broadly based integration testing. This is the best
   thing about open source software: random bugs help drive
   improvement. If we constrain things too much we are not a healthy
   and contributing participant in the larger ecosystem that is
   sometimes called "using stuff" but is also "global integration
   testing".

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent