[openstack-dev] [all] Please hold on library releases at this point !

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Apr 10 15:11:41 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

It might not be clear from our documentation, but the RequirementsFreeze
also applies to our internal libraries, so we should actually not tag
new versions of libraries while we are in it (or at least, not without
asking for an exception). That means you if your library is in
global-requirements.

The rationale is that late library bumps are likely to introduce new
bugs late in the release cycle, while all the integration testing so far
was done on the previous version of the library. Once we properly cap
the libraries on the release branch to ignore new versions, we don't
have that problem anymore, but that happens once all RC1s are done and
RequirementsFreeze is lifted.

Once that is done, you can release "liberty" versions of the library as
much as you want. Don't forget to bump the "Y" in the X.Y.Z semver
though, since the capping is based on keeping .Z for critical stable
updates.

In doubt, please ask me (or anyone else on the Release Management team)
on #openstack-relmgr-office before doing any library release.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)