[openstack-dev] [all] how to send messages (and events) to our users

Ryan Brown rybrown at redhat.com
Fri Apr 10 14:00:27 UTC 2015

On 04/09/2015 09:40 PM, Angus Salkeld wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 6:39 AM, Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com
> <mailto:zbitter at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/04/15 22:55, Angus Salkeld wrote:
>
>         Hi all
>
>         For quite some time we (Heat team) have wanted to be able to send
>         messages to our
>         users (by user I do not mean the Operator, but the User that is
>         interacting with the client).
>
>         What do I mean by "user messages", and how do they differ from our
>         current log messages
>         and notifications?
>         - Our current logs are for the operator and have information
>         that the
>         user should not have
>            (ip addresses, hostnames, configuration options, other tenant
>         info etc..)
>         - Our notifications (that Ceilometer uses) *could* be used, but
>         I am not
>         sure if it quite fits.
>            (they seem a bit heavy weight for a log message and aimed at
>         higher
>         level events)
>
>         These messages could be (based on Heat's use case):
>
>         - Specific user oriented log messages (distinct from our normal
>         operator
>         logs)
>         - Deprecation messages (if they are using old resource
>         properties/template features)
>         - Progress and resource state changes (an application doesn't
>         want to
>         poll an api for a state change)
>         - Automated actions (autoscaling events, time based actions)
>         - Potentially integrated server logs (from in guest agents)
>
>         I wanted to raise this to "[all]" as it would be great to have a
>         general
>         solution that
>         all projects can make use of.
>
>         What do we have now:
>         - The user can not get any kind of log message from services. The
>         closest thing
>            ATM is the notifications in Ceilometer, but I have the
>         feeling that
>         these have a different aim.
>         - nova console log
>         - Heat has a DB "event" table for users (we have long wanted to
>         get rid
>         of this)
>
>         What do other clouds provide:
>         - https://devcenter.heroku.com/__articles/logging
>         <https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/logging>
>         - https://cloud.google.com/__logging/docs/
>         <https://cloud.google.com/logging/docs/>
>         - https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/__aws/cloudwatch-log-service/
>         <https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/cloudwatch-log-service/>
>         - http://aws.amazon.com/__cloudtrail/
>         <http://aws.amazon.com/cloudtrail/>
>         (other examples...)
>
>         What are some options we could investigate:
>         1. remote syslog
>              The user provides a rsyslog server IP/port and we send their
>         messages to that.
>              [pros] simple, and the user could also send their server's log
>         messages to the same
> [...]

Zaqar as it presently exists, maybe. Zaqar *wants* to fit these cases,
and they want our feedback if they are missing anything to support these.

The biggest stretch here IMO is (4) because not all Zaqar storage
backends support strict ordering, but that can be fixed at the
application layer.

--
Ryan Brown / Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.