[openstack-dev] [heat] autoscaling and load balancers

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at mirantis.com
Wed Apr 8 22:21:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Miguel Grinberg <miguel.s.grinberg at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Zane, replies inline.
>
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 07/04/15 22:02, Miguel Grinberg wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The OS::Heat::AutoScalingGroup resource is somewhat limited at this
>>> time, because when a scaling even occurs it does not notify dependent
>>> resources, such as a load balancer, that the pool of instances has
>>> changed.
>>>

>> As Thomas mentioned, the 'approved' way to solve this is to make your
>> scaled unit a stack, and include a Neutron PoolMember resource in it.
>

> LBAAS is an optional, now even external component, not part of the Neutron
> API. Many installations don't have it. Allowing the use of custom load
> balancers is a desirable option, in my opinion, more so while LBAAS is not
> core neutron functionality.
>

>>  The AWS::AutoScaling::AutoScalingGroup resource, on the other side, has
>>> a LoadBalancerNames property that takes a list of
>>> AWS::ElasticLoadBalancing::LoadBalancer resources that get updated
>>> anytime the size of the ASG changes.
>>>

>> Which is an appalling hack.
>>
>> Yes. This is hacky, but it seems it models the AWS load balancing APIs,
> so there isn't much that can be done here, right?
>

>> (If it called the Neutron LBaaS API, like the equivalent in
>> CloudFormation does with ELB, it would be OK. But in reality, as you know,
>> it's a hack that makes calls directly to another resource plugin within
>> Heat.)
>>
>>  I'm trying to implement this notification mechanism for HOT templates,
>>> but there are a few aspects that I hope to do better.
>>>
>>> 1. A HOT template can have get_attr function calls that invoke
>>> attributes of the ASG. None of these update when the ASG resizes at this
>>> time, a scaling even does a partial update that only affects the ASG
>>> resource. I would like to address this.
>>>

>> In the medium-term I think this is something that I believe Convergence
>> will be able to solve for us. I'm not sure that it's worth putting in a
>> short-term work-around for.
>

> Here is where we disagree. In my opinion this is broken functionality.
> After a scaling event there are resources that go stale because they are
> never told that the ASG resized. This to me is clearly a bug that deserves
> fixing, even if in the future a better/nicer fix can be crafted.

So the problem is the result of get_attr is dynamic and we do not support
triggering stack updates on changes to their results.

As Zane suggested, you should think of autoscaling as been in a different
service.

A possible solution:
You have a top level template that has an StackUpdatePolicy (a new thing),
and it gets triggered by a Ceilometer Alarm based
on the following notification:
https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/heat/engine/resources/aws/autoscaling/autoscaling_group.py#L338-L344

This then runs an update to refresh the stack.

-Angus