[openstack-dev] [all] how to send messages (and events) to our users

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Apr 8 17:38:25 UTC 2015

Yeah, I don't think anyone would give access to the production rabbitmq directly.

We use Yagi [1] to pipe it to AtomHopper [2] for downstream consumption/sanitizing.

-S

[1] https://github.com/rackerlabs/yagi

[2] http://atomhopper.org/

________________________________
From: Duncan Thomas <duncan.thomas at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:03 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [all] how to send messages (and events) to our users

>From a security point, it certainly scares the hell out of me

On 7 April 2015 at 08:45, Chris Friesen <chris.friesen at windriver.com<mailto:chris.friesen at windriver.com>> wrote:
On 04/06/2015 10:08 PM, Angus Salkeld wrote:
On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Chris Friesen <chris.friesen at windriver.com<mailto:chris.friesen at windriver.com>
<mailto:chris.friesen at windriver.com<mailto:chris.friesen at windriver.com>>> wrote:

    On 04/06/2015 08:55 PM, Angus Salkeld wrote:

        Hi all

        For quite some time we (Heat team) have wanted to be able to send
        messages to our
        users (by user I do not mean the Operator, but the User that is
        interacting with
        the client).

        What do I mean by "user messages", and how do they differ from our
        current log
        messages and notifications?
        - Our current logs are for the operator and have information that the user
        should not have
            (ip addresses, hostnames, configuration options, other tenant info
        etc..)
        - Our notifications (that Ceilometer uses) *could* be used, but I am not
        sure if
        it quite fits.
            (they seem a bit heavy weight for a log message and aimed at higher
        level events)

    <snip>

        What are some options we could investigate:
        1. remote syslog
        2. Zaqar
        3. Other options:
             Please chip in with suggestions/links!

    What about a per-user notification topic using the existing notification
    backend?

Wouldn't that require the Operator to provide the end user with access to the
message bus?
Seems scary to me.

AMQP supports access controls, so is it really all that scary?  Maybe set up a virtual host per user if we want to be paranoid? (Just throwing it out there as an option since we're already using it...)

Chris

Duncan Thomas